Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reflecting on Integrating New Technology and Goals for the Future

Learning in new ways that prepares students for the future workplace is an essential component of today’s classrooms (Kirschner & Erkins, 2006). Web 2.0 tools such as wikis, podcasts, and blogs provide educators with the means to transform their classrooms into a collaborative environment that is connected to an authentic audience and provides educational experiences that promotes 21st century skills. Thornburg (2008) supports the integration of Web 2.0 tools; these new technologies provide educators with resources that are low-cost, collaborative and shrink space so students can communicate and collaborate easily with peers and professionals in and out of the classroom (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008). Prior to this course I had little experience with using Web 2.0 tools; this course has forced me to use these tools myself and explore how they can effectively be integrated into the classroom to enhance learning and the development of essential 21st century skills.

Students bring to the classroom a vast array of learning styles and ability levels. Technology provides educators with the means to differentiate to accommodate the needs of a diverse student population. The Internet provides teachers and students with an unlimited amount of material to supplement classroom instruction. Cramer (2007) describes the use of instructional websites to “illustrate, support, supplement, or assess student learning (p.126).” It takes some time to locate high-quality websites but they can provide our students with educational material that can help them better understand instruction by providing audio or visual representations or information that is of an appropriate reading level.

The role of the classroom teacher has changed from leader to faciltator. The ISTE NETS for Teachers Standards begin with key dispositions that are needed to be an effective teacher: facilitate, design, model, promote, and engage. I have always considered teaching my students how to be critical thinkers and problem solvers a critical component of my instruction. Thornburg made a statement that I have told my students for years, “I don’t know but I know how to find out!” and I model that frequently in my classroom (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008). I share my love of learning and often show them what I have to do in my classwork. If I can develop critical thinking and problem solving skills in my students and build their confidence in their abilities I feel I am successful. The major barrier teachers have to overcome when making the transition to facilitator is the perceptions of what many parents, students, and administrators think a classroom should look like and what the responsibilities of the teacher are. As Prensky (2008) states, educators face many pressures from parents and state and federal government that support an outdated education.

Professional development is a critical component of quality instruction. Blogs, wikis and podcasts can provide educators with resources that are relevant to their classroom and students. I am completing my last class in my Master’s program with Walden University. The knowledge gained from the weekly discussions and assignments have been invaluable; I have found the constant discussion with peers and acquisition of new knowledge and skills to be stimulating. I need to find some new means to stay abreast of current educational issues and trends. Through this course I have subscribed to some extremely useful blogs that have provided me with resources for classroom instruction and will utilize them to continue my professional development.

The ability to work effectively with peers is a key 21st century skill. By working collaboratively, students learn how to agree on, execute, and produce a product or complete a task (Kirschner & Erkins, 2006). Web 2.0 tools provide students with a motivating and educational learning experience that allows them to create products that can be shared with an authentic audience while developing collaboration skills. Developing this skill in my students has always been a goal for my classroom and the new technology available provides me with tools to meet my goal. Unfortunately, there are often parents and administrators that do not see the importance of collaborative learning and how technology can enhance the development of critical content and skills. To promote an understanding of collaborative learning I will invite parents for activity nights that allow them to see how their child is using technology in the classroom. I will share video clips of the use of technology and collaborative learning in our classroom so parents and administrators can witness the learning that is taking place.

When it comes to technology integration in the school environment cost is always a factor, a creative teacher can look at technologies that are more readily available, less expensive, and often already owned by the student and utilize them to develop learning experiences that are motivating and relevant. Ipods and cell phones with unlimited text service are common items in most students’ backpacks. Educators can download lectures, classic stories in the public domain and informational podcasts that students can access at times that are convenient. Students can text Google and quickly access information or they can email assignments to their teachers. These devices can provide, as Thornburg calls it, “anytime, anywhere learning” (Laureate Education, 2008). To provide my students with a quality learning experience that effectively integrates technology, I will continue to look at ways to use technology that society and our students embrace and channel it into my classroom by staying abreast of current issues and trends in technology by subscribing to relevant blogs and online periodicals.

References

Cramer, S. (2007). Update your classroom with learning objects and twenty-first century skills. Clearing House, 80(3), 126–132.

Kirschner, P., & Erkens, G. (2006). Cognitive tools and mindtools for collaborative learning. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 35(2), 199–209.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Understanding the impact of technology on education, work, and society [DVD]. Baltimore: Author.

Prensky, M. (2008, March). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40–45.

No comments:

Post a Comment